Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One Good Thing About Homeschooling

I have a minor cold that is really knocking me down. It doesn't really bother me all day, but by the middle of the night my throat hurts, I cough a little, and my head just pounds. My head was pounding so bad this morning that I just couldn't get myself out of bed. Poor Emily kept coming in to tell me what time it was because I kept saying to come back in a half hour and wake me up. Then I would send her out again to check on me in another half hour. Finally, I woke up on my own around 9:30 and my headache was feeling better. Thank goodness! So another late start to the day. I guess I titled this post one good thing about homeschooling but now I guess I have a couple things that are good, that I was reminded of today:
  • How wonderful to be able to sleep when not feeling well and know that the little girls will be taken care of. I didn't even have to ask or tell them, it just happens that way. The morning went on as usual even with me sleeping. They started school by 8:30 and had the little girls fed and ready without being told. I do love that part of homeschooling!
  • The next good thing I realized today as the girls and I were taking a break and watching one of the Duggar shows. It was about two of the daughters and a trip they took together. We watched as they interviewed and followed these two girls on their trip. We learned how close in age they are and how good of friends they are. After watching a while I asked the girls, "Who does that sound like?" Emily and Grace were thinking the same thing. They are close in age and they really are best friends. They do have their arguments and times where they don't get along. But really all in all, they are so close to each other. I don't think if they were in public school that they would get along like they do, because really public school is so completely the opposite of that!
So I guess the good point to all of this is that it makes me realize that no matter how far behind I am on our school work sometimes, I am still so glad we homeschool. There are more important things in life than doing schoolwork and getting good grades. These kids are learning about real life, about caring for others when they don't feel good, about pitching in where it is needed just because it needs to be done, and they are learning to be best friends, not enemies. Those are the things that really matter in the end if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment