Thursday, October 14, 2010

Curriculum

Okay, nothing exciting to note today so I thought I would just let you know what we are using for curriculum this year.

Emily - Emily is using Switched On Schoolhouse sixth grade this year. We actually had to buy the curriculum this year because Brooke didn't start SOS until 7th grade. But atleast I know I will be able to use it for Grace. The money savings with this curriculum is so great. Emily also has a composition notebook that I would like her to write in twice a week, but we are lucky to get in once a week. I have her write atleast half a page about anything she wants and then I correct grammar and spelling errors. This was a great idea I received last year from another homeschool mom. It really shows me exactly where she needs improvement. I just started having her do a Bible Copy notebook, too. I would like her to write in that twice a week also, but again I am lucky to have her do it once a week. I am hoping next week to be more organized in this area, ha ha. So what I am doing the Bible copy for, other than the obvious of learning the Bible, is handwriting because I decided not to order formal handwriting books this year.

Grace - Grace is using SOS 4th grade this year. I am also doing a separate phonics and spelling program with her. I just feel that she needs some(a lot) of review in phonics. So I ordered a program called Vo-Wac. The public schools around here use it and I think it worked well with Brooke having had it in public school in K and 1st grade. I did have to go back to second grade with this curriculum though because it is pretty hard to throw them in to the middle of it. But it has been very good for her to learn these rules and sometimes easy is a good way to start. Grace is also doing the composition and Bible copy notebooks.

Sophia - First off I have to say that Sophia LOVES school. She is so disappointed when it is the weekend and we don't do school. I am using Vo-Wac phonics with her, too. She is already learning to read some and just loves it. She is doing Saxon K for math. That has been going great. I really disliked that program with Emily and Grace, but I seem to enjoy teaching it to Sophia. I am glad that I had saved the teachers manual and only had to spend around $10 on the meeting book.

Allison - I can't leave Allison out. Last Christmas, my mother-in-law bought her some Kumon workbooks that I had told her I thought Allison would like. I don't think she was quite ready for them yet at that time, but she sure is ready now. It literally takes me less than ten minutes to do a page in all four books and it makes Allison feel so big to be able to do school like her sisters!

Lydia - I guess you could say Lydia has some school, too. I have been trying to do some "blanket time" with her each day. Which really means a couple times a week. I love blanket time because it teaches her how to stay where I tell her, how to play quietly, and how to sit still. She isn't crazy about it but she does get really excited when I tell her all done. She gets right up and starts picking up her toys and even carries her toys to her bedroom to put them away. Now Allison actually asks everyday if we can do blanket time and Sophia even wants to join in. It works good for me because it helps Lydia to see her sister's sitting nice. It just helps her to know what is expected. I guess the other thing Lydia does for "school" is get the "Lady With the Alligator Purse" book read to her. That is her favorite book right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment