Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Couple New Books

I ordered a couple new books for school and they arrived on Friday.  Nothing like starting something new two months before school is out!  Can you say "summer school"?



This first book is a new phonics book I ordered for Grace to work through.  It looks really easy so it shouldn't take her long to get through it.  We obviously quit the Vo-Wac we were doing.  Life is so much better since we quit!  Anyway, I do think there are some important rules in this book that we may have missed so that is what I'm hoping to accomplish by using this book right now. 



This second book I am pretty excited about.  Brooke saw it up in the cupboard and said she loved working in this book so I just had to order one for both Emily and Grace.  The book is set up as if you are working at a newspaper.  They will learn all sorts of things from writing a column to a news article to sale ads.  I haven't decided yet how to work it along with the Writing Strands book they are both working on.  Maybe alternate days or weeks?  I think we'll just dig right in to this tomorrow and see what it entails and go from there.

I also have Grace all tested and set up to use the Spelling Power program.  She seems fairly happy with it so I hope it will help her.  She tested at a much higher level than I expected her to so that was a nice surprise.  She has been learning!

The girls did start their science experiment book this last week and they enjoyed doing an experiment.  The vocabulary words the second day, maybe not so much but they did it anyway, knowing if they didn't that they wouldn't get to do any more experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment