Wednesday, August 25, 2010

In A Panic

What am I doing?? I think I am crazy. I was so excited when the UPS man showed up today (do you think everone loves the ups man?) with the box containing our new phonics and spelling books for Grace and Sophia. Just so very excited! We put it on the table and opened it all up all of us very curious about the new books. Then I started taking the products out. Teacher's manuals, letter cards, picture cards, dry erase boards, and so on. Sophia just kept asking how soon we could start. I told her not until Monday. A good decision on my part because it didn't take long for the excitement to wear off for me. One peek into those teachers manuals and I could feel the panic rising in my chest. How am I going to do this? I am not a lesson planner. I am not a read from the book kind of teacher. Heck, I don't even consider myself a teacher at all, the older kids have been learning from a computer for a few years now! I'm not even sure how I am supposed to fit all of this teaching stuff into my already full day. So that is where I am at. Not a good feeling. I managed to look through one whole lesson for Grace this evening. Great, we can get a lesson done on Monday. Now how am I going to find the time to plan the rest of the week for her and Sohpia, too? Oh I know deep down that it will get done and everything will be fine. I am sure after a couple of weeks we will cruise through the lessons like we have been doing them for years. But for now, I can't seem to get rid of this panicky feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Vowac. As much as I like using it at school, I do end up skipping parts of lessons, especially when it's "group work" or something that's difficult to do with 1 student! It's so overwhelming at first...but once you figure out what parts are worth using and which ones are worth throwing aside, it'll get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are EXACTLY right on, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete